Keep Your Family And Home Safe This Holiday Season
The holiday season is one of the most joyous times of the year for many. Gift giving and receiving, family get-togethers and glutinous meals are anticipated for months by adults and children alike.
Unfortunately, however, theft can lurk behind the excitement and preparation. Below, we outline how you can best keep your family and belongings safe.
Shopping and Mall Safety
Holiday shopping can be exciting and stressful at the same time. With numerous things on your mind, it is easy to get caught up in the moment and let your guard down. This mindset is what thieves want. While shopping:
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Consolidate bags so that you have fewer items to track.
- Keep wallets, purses and other valuables on your person at all times.
- Never set your purchases down or out of sight.
- If you place purchases in your car, make sure that they are concealed with a blanket, sheet or towel. Or better yet, put them in your car’s trunk. Remember the “out of sight, out of mind” rule.
- If leaving the mall alone at night, request an escort from your mall’s police force.
Shopping with children in tow can require additional security awareness. Every 40 seconds in the United States, a child becomes missing or is abducted. As you go about your shopping, keep a close eye on your kids at all times.
During the holiday season, as well as any time of year, you should take necessary precautions to secure your home and your belongings.
- Keep presents away from windows, and out of view from peering eyes.
- Break down boxes into small parts and conceal them within garbage bags or cans. Thieves watch for large boxes on the curb, which may indicate recent expensive purchases.
- Lock your doors and windows even when home. Many people let their guard down during the day.
- Install a home security system so that you’ll be notified should a break-in occur.
- Be smart when opening your door to unfamiliar faces. Some thieves will take advantage of the overall air of generosity during the season and go door to door asking for donations to illegitimate charities.
Have a safe and enjoyable holiday season by keeping the above safety considerations in mind. From our family at Vector Security to yours, happy holidays!
What do you do to ensure a safe holiday season for your family?
Image Source: State Farm via FlickR