We’ve put together a collection of our top home security advice to help keep your family safe.
Properly Utilize Home Security
Selecting, evaluating and properly utilizing home security equipment can be a daunting task for homeowners. Here are the summarized answers you need to some of the most crucial home security questions:
- Is DIY home security the right option for my family? Selecting DIY home security versus traditional home security installed by a provider is often the first step in securing your home. If you choose DIY, it’s important to properly educate yourself on equipment and ensure professional monitoring is available.
- How do I pick a reliable home security provider? Pick a provider with high-quality technology, monitoring and customer service that has clear contracts.
- How do I evaluate my new home’s security? Once you have a home security system in place, evaluate its effectiveness. These are the six technologies to assess: video surveillance, smart lights, monitored alarms, environmental hazard monitoring, window and glass sensors, and smart locks. Check that all are present and functioning in your home for maximum safety.
- How do I maintain my home security system? The best vendors will offer a maintenance package with your service contract, so a professional will check your equipment annually. In between those times, run your own practice tests, and ensure surveillance camera lenses stay clean and batteries are fresh.
- How do I stop a beeping alarm system? This is an important question that every owner of a home security alarm needs to know. To stop your alarm from beeping, check first that there is no threat. When you know your home is secure, silence the alarm, then check the batteries and wiring to the system. Contact your provider if the above attempts don’t yield success.
Apply Home Security To Your Lifestyle
Home security is not a one-size-fits-all solution. You may have questions on how your solution can adjust to your lifestyle. A professional installer optimizes your equipment to fit your family and property; here are some key tips for specific lifestyles:
- New Parents: Your home requires a lot of “baby proofing.” Home security equipment can help monitor your bundle of joy as they grow.
- Singles: If you live alone, home security can be a good protection partner. Check on your home from your mobile device if you’ll be away.
- Empty Nesters: With fewer people at home, you can keep tight security by installing video surveillance and monitored alarms. A personal emergency response system (PERS) can keep you safe in an emergency too.
- Vacationers: When traveling, your vacant home is at a higher risk for invasion Secure entry points, schedule smart lighting, and set up mobile alerts.
Embrace Technology Innovations
Technology is constantly evolving, and home security is no exception. Here are the advancements to embrace and note when it comes to tech inventions:
- Live Streaming From Your TV: Use Alarm.com’s Amazon Fire TV application to live stream your surveillance cameras on your TV.
- Smart Home Security: From waking up to going to bed, your smart home can take care of you and your family in terms of both safety and ease.
- Drones: Potential applications of drones in home security include speedy investigation of potentially hazardous events, enhanced video capabilities and machine learning to continually gather useful data.
- Voice recognition: Devices like Amazon Echo allow users to control their smart home hands free.
We’ve shared our most valuable advice, now let’s here yours. How do you protect your home? Share in the comment section below.