The Importance of Staying Informed on Cyber Security
Cyber security is one of the most talked-about business topics of today. In fact, one expert suggests cyber security is the most important concern of 2017. Given the dependence many business owners have on wireless technology, this isn’t surprising.
If you don’t make it a point to stay up to date on cyber security news and developments, you’re putting your business at risk.
Why Stay Informed?
By ignoring cyber security developments, news and risks, you could miss important updates that impact your business. Specific reasons to stay informed include:
- Cyber security impacts are widespread. Consider important data stored in your computers and on your network—customer information, sensitive business information, financial data and more. A great deal is at risk when you remain uninformed about cyber security.
- Hacking is more prevalent than ever. A 2017 report indicated that more than one-third of companies in 2016 lost 20% of their revenue after suffering a data security hack. If you don’t make it a priority to stay informed and protect yourself, the odds of staying safe from hackers are stacked against you.
- Technology evolves quickly and so do hackers. There was an estimated 40% increase in hacks from 2015 to 2016, indicating hackers are only getting faster at developing new ways to steal information. The best way to stay ahead of the curve is to learn about the latest scams and how to protect your business.
How to Stay Up to Date
It’s clear cyber security is a topic worth your time. So, what are the best ways to stay informed? A few ideas are below.
- Read blogs and online news on the topic of cyber security. There are plenty of outlets that cover cyber security news. You can find them with a simple Google search. Some of our favorites include: Krebs on Security, Threat Level by Wired and Security Weekly. Sign up for cyber security newsletters, subscribe to cyber security blogs, follow experts’ Twitter accounts and regularly check the news for mentions of data security.
- Hire personnel to keep you informed and your company safe. If your budget allows for it, a Chief Information Security Officer or other head of IT can help your business stay informed of threats and set cyber security policies.
- Talk with your trusted network security provider. Your provider is an expert on developing an airtight network, and you can trust them to offer solid advice and recommendations, as well as to keep you updated on the latest risks.
How do you stay informed about cyber security? Share in the comments below!