The Federal Aviation Administration predicts that seven million drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), will take flight in the U.S. by 2020. Homeowners are beginning to leverage emerging drone technology to enhance home security and automation.
Below, we provide an outline of several ways drones might impact your home automation system in the near future.
Alarm.com has partnered with Qualcomm® Snapdragon Flight to develop autonomous drone applications that enhance smart home security. The application’s Insights Engine uses machine learning to perform the following tasks:
- Continually gather data from connected smart devices, such as image sensors, surveillance cameras and locks to learn complex homeowner activity patterns.
- Detect hazardous anomalies, and release drones to investigate when something is amiss.
Keep tabs on your property at all times with high-resolution video cameras. Video-enabled UAVs expand security perimeters and offer additional visibility to homeowners. Leverage these cameras to patrol the interior and exterior of your home:
- Access archives of previously recorded videos capturing unexpected events.
- View live footage of your home from the convenience of any web-enabled device.
- Visually verify what triggered a sensor or alarm, and appropriately address any immediate threats.
Drones may be used to investigate areas as soon as a security threat has been detected. Pair your smart home devices with drone technology to continually keep an eye on your property, and quickly identify hazardous events before they become major liabilities:
- Promptly alert and dispatch emergency responders in the event of a serious security threat.
Homeowners have yet to tap into all the possibilities drones have to offer. As drone technology continues to advance, homeowners may start to incorporate UAVs into their security systems. To ensure proper installation and to keep up to date on the latest advancements in home security, work with a trusted security provider.
In what ways could you benefit from incorporating drone technology into your home automation system?