All businesses need effective security solutions. However, the level of security required for a business depends on its size and number of locations.
Below, we explain the differences between securing a single-site business versus a multi-site business.
Single-site businesses are one entity. Business owners are responsible for one location and one staff. Therefore, security is more straightforward than it would be for a multi-site business.
Security systems for single-site businesses typically include:
- Access control systems that give staff convenient access to their workplace, while protecting your business from property and information theft.
- Energy management to help you save on energy costs.
- Environmental hazard monitoring to warn of water pipe bursts or flooding.
- Mobile solutions that allow you to manage your security system from your computer, smartphone or tablet.
- Monitored burglar, fire and carbon monoxide alarms that save you critical time in an emergency.
- Video surveillance that allows you to check in on your business when you’re away.
The goal of multi-site businesses is to operate as one cohesive unit, rather than separate entities. However, it can be challenging to manage multiple properties, oversee employees amongst each location and maintain a consistent standard of safety across sites.
For these reasons, multi-site businesses need a more comprehensive security plan than single sites.
While some of the single-site security measures are also appropriate for multi-site businesses, they’re used differently. A multi-site business security system should include the following solutions:
- Access control is a multi-site security standard and should be implemented across offices. Keyless entry systems, including swipe readers and access cards, record authorized entry throughout sites.
- Alarm management that allows day-to-day monitoring and management of your company’s security system.
- Energy management makes it easier to conserve energy and save money by controlling lights, thermostats and smart locks across all locations.
- Environmental monitoring provides multi-site business owners with alerts and reports for a range of critical events, including temperature and refrigeration issues, water leaks and equipment failure.
- IP video surveillance allows organizations to monitor multiple facilities by streaming video online. The ability to access video feeds and alerts for all locations is essential for your organization to identify risk and implement solutions in real time. Most importantly, these services enable business owners to maintain central monitoring of all sites.
- Jurisdictional compliance and permit management services. For multi-site businesses spread across several locations, keeping up with ever-changing jurisdictional and permitting requirements can be a daunting, frustrating and costly task. Many municipalities follow different legislation regarding local installation and monitoring licensing, alarm registration, false alarm penalties and restrictive response laws. Multi-site businesses need compliance and management services to monitor permit requirements, installation and monitoring licensing, alarm registration and restrictive response laws, as well as other issues that impact national organizations with sites in multiple states or provinces and jurisdictions.
- Managed Network Services that provide managed broadband infrastructure and network monitoring services from a single point of contact.
- Mobile solutions to help manage your security system across all sites directly from your computer, tablet or mobile device.
- Monitored intrusion and fire alarms designed and installed to maximize protection while meeting local jurisdiction requirements of each site.
Single and multi-site businesses may have different needs, but security is still a priority. Contact a trusted security expert for a customized solution that is tailored to your business’s needs.
Do you manage a single- or multi-site business? How do you keep your company and your employees safe? Share your thoughts in the comments below.