Many Americans are unsure of what’s to come, raising uncertainty and creating anxiety. While it is impossible to completely eliminate security vulnerabilities, families can prepare for emergency situations and minimize stress should an act of terrorism occur.
1. Develop an Emergency Plan
Remain calm, and listen to instructions from emergency officials should danger arise. Educate your family on safety procedures, and ensure you have a detailed plan. Establish a place to meet, and prepare an emergency kit with essential items:
- Battery-powered radio.
- Blankets or sleeping bags.
- Candles, matches and flashlights.
- Extra batteries.
- Medical supplies.
- Water and non-perishable food items.
2. Keep Children Safe
Parents must stay informed as situations unfold to determine the safest course of action for their children.
Take the following precautions to safeguard your children from potential danger:
- Educate children on proper safety procedures.
- Establish a designated hiding spot.
- Know where your children are at all times.
- Learn basic medical treatment. (e.g. CPR and first aid).
- Provide your children with a list of emergency contacts.
- Understand the school’s emergency procedures.
- Limit children’s post-attack media exposure.
3. Install Security Devices
Create peace of mind for you and your family by properly securing your home.
- Install monitored alarms to deter intruders and notify emergency personnel.
- Secure all entrances to your home with smart locks.
- Use video surveillance to monitor your home, and report unusual behavior to authorities.
- Receive mobile notifications in real-time to warn you of potential dangers, such as a break-in.
Taking these precautionary measures will reduce stress and reassure that you have done everything in your power to protect your family should a terrorist attack occur.
How do you ensure your family is prepared should a dangerous situation occur? Share in the comment section below.