Practical Home Security Tips From The Experts
Even if you don’t own a home security system, there are inexpensive tactics you can implement to protect your household. Vector Security experts offer some key tips below.
6 Tips To Keep Your Home Safe
- Identify potential risks. Before you move to a new neighborhood, connect with families in the area to evaluate whether it is in-line with your expectations and needs. While it may seem safe, don’t be mislead by appearances or notions presented to you by your realtor.
- Do a gut check. Evaluate what you are most trying to protect, and use that as a starting point to develop your home security program. The wellbeing of your family members will likely come first, with valuable assets falling next in line.
- Don’t underestimate old-school locks. Whether you’re a renter or homeowner, ensure that door and window locks work appropriately and are used. If necessary, install window stops for an added layer of protection. Unwanted visitors typically look for easy access into a home.
- Leave the light on. Leaving lights, and even a radio or TV, on in the house can go a long way in making your home look active. Implement inexpensive motion sensor lights to add safety for anyone coming home late and to deter burglars.
- Commit to landscaping and upkeep. Trim bushes and shrubs, mow the lawn, and remove leaves and snow. Don’t allow newspapers or mail to pile up whether you’re home or on vacation. A groomed appearance gives the impression that you are regularly present, and protect and value your home.
- Participate in the community. Knowing your neighbors is invaluable to your home’s safety. Develop relationships with families on your street to ensure mutual safety. Notify each other of suspicious activity or nearby threats.
The Ultimate Level of Security
Though the above tips help, a home security system backed by a 24-hour monitoring center is the ultimate safeguard. If an emergency occurs, a security system will ensure responders are dispatched through Central Station monitoring, saving critical time for your family.
Smart home security can also alleviate the inconveniences associated with managing home safety on your own, such as maintaining your alarm system, remembering to lock up, or turning lights and appliances on and off. Through a mobile application, homeowners monitor and control smart devices from anywhere and at any time.
What measures do you implement at home to keep your family safe? Share your tips in the comments below!
Image Source: Monam via Pixabay