This post was originally published on August 30, 2016 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
You may think burglars enter your home mainly through doors or windows. However, this isn’t always the case.
Garage doors are one of the most common entry points for intruders, as they are relatively easy to break into and often overlooked by homeowners.
When an intruder gains access to your garage, they also gain access to your home, car and personal belongings. A smart garage is programmed to open or close to secure your home while you’re away, even if you forget.
Learn how adding a smart garage to your home automation system can help secure valuable assets and keep your family safe.
1. Installing Your Smart Garage
Installed correctly, smart garages can help deter intruders and provide around-the-clock monitoring of your home. It is advised that you contact a reliable security service provider to install equipment for you. Work with a trusted provider to:
- Ensure equipment functions properly.
- Guarantee installation is backed by a warranty.
- Verify trained security professionals monitor your home.
- Gain the knowledge and resources needed to properly utilize your equipment.
2. Controlling Your Smart Garage
Once installed, smart garages can be controlled from your mobile device, allowing you to secure your home, even while you are away. Use your smartphone, tablet or computer to:
- Open or close your garage remotely.
- Schedule opening and closing times.
- Set up alerts for when your garage is left open or sensors are triggered.
- View live footage of your garage at any time.
3. Integrating Additional Smart Technology
Enhance the security of your smart garage with smart technology, such as smart lights or geofencing. Additionally, the following features provide reliable and convenient monitoring capabilities:
- Geo-Services. Notify you when someone has left without closing the garage.
- Home alarm monitoring. Promptly dispatch emergency services in case of a break-in.
- Image sensors. Detect movement and provide images when triggered.
- Video surveillance. Automatically record a short clip every time the garage door is opened.
- Unique user codes. Assign individuals unique codes to access the garage at specified times.
Securing one of the most vulnerable entry points of your home will help prevent break-ins, safeguard your belongings and keep your family safe. Work with a trusted security vendor to ensure you are getting the most out of your smart garage.