Cyber security threats are on the rise, and businesses must be prepared to avoid loss.
Yet, according to a June 2016 Ponemon Institute report, only 14% of small- and medium-sized businesses are equipped to mitigate cyber security risks.
Let’s take a look at some top threats and key steps to protect against them.
Protect Against Cyber Security Threats
To properly protect your business from cyber threats:
- Update equipment on a regular basis for compatibility with other security equipment and systems.
- Install antivirus software, malware and firewalls to catch malicious activity before it’s too late.
- Conduct a business security audit to determine if existing equipment and systems align with your business’ current needs.
- Provide all systems, equipment and software with unique passwords or passcodes, and limit access to necessary individuals.
- Set guidelines if you allow employees to bring their own devices (BYOD) to the workplace.
- Keep a pulse on business security trends and news, and adapt processes to evolving security needs.
- Never access your company’s sensitive information from unsecured or unfamiliar networks while traveling or working remotely.
- Conduct in-depth interviews and background checks before hiring new employees to ensure they are reliable and trustworthy.