Today’s healthcare professionals encounter a diverse demographic of patients each day, evolving the standards of security.
Healthcare security now plays a vital role in protecting patients and employees from violent behavior and safeguarding confidential digital assets from cybercriminals.
Learn how healthcare professionals can implement equipment and policies to create a safe and secure work environment.
Traditionally, healthcare security encompassed visitor management. Now, industry professionals must comply with all Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations and install equipment to ensure a safe environment.
Consider these best practices:
- Restrict access to operating rooms and medicine closets with access controls, such as proximity readers or photo identification.
- Receive mobile alerts when a restricted area has been accessed.
- Install monitored alarms to ward off unauthorized intruders and immediately alert emergency personnel if a dangerous situation has occurred.
- Position surveillance cameras near facility entrances and hallways to discourage theft or violent behavior. Avoid placing cameras in hospital rooms, restrooms or exam rooms.
Digital Asset Security
Cyber attackers attempting to gain access to sensitive digital assets, such as health records, payment information and intellectual property may be more likely to target healthcare providers.
Ensure all employees clearly understand company standards and protocols and are properly trained to secure data. Additionally, obey all HIPAA requirements to mitigate system vulnerabilities and protect sensitive data from being compromised:
- Back up files in separate and secure locations.
- Password protect individual devices.
- Use a virtual private network to communicate and share data.
- Limit health data disclosure to the patient and authorized uses.
With appropriate security devices and policies in place, healthcare providers can focus on tending to patients, while knowing they are working in a secure environment.
Consult a security professional to assist you in properly protecting your healthcare facility.