Business Security: Purchasing, Updating or Upgrading Systems
According to the National Association for Shoplifting Prevention, one in eleven people in the United States shoplifts.
Smart business owners must select and maintain the right security system for their business to protect physical and digital assets.
This post will outline important questions to ask when purchasing, updating or upgrading your business’ security system.
Purchasing a Security System
Selecting the right security system for your business is dependent on several factors such as the type of business, the geographic location, the layout of your business and the number of vulnerable entry points.
During the selection process, work with a vendor who meets your budget and needs. When considering potential providers, it is important to ask questions, such as:
- Are there opportunities to upgrade services at a later date?
- Is the security equipment under warranty?
- Is the vendor licensed to install equipment (Verify on your state’s Department of Public Safety webpage.)?
- What are customers saying about the vendor?
- What ongoing maintenance does the vendor offer?
- What products are or should be included in your package (e.g., video surveillance, EAS, or access control systems)?
- What services are or should be included in your package (e.g., installation, mobile solutions, alarm monitoring, or training)?
Asking the right questions will ensure your vendor is able to deliver the necessary services to properly secure your business.
Updating a Security System
Business owners understand the importance of evaluating their business’ security. A security system audit identifies vulnerabilities in your current system caused by outdated or defective equipment and points out areas for improvement.
Technology is rapidly changing and there are more digital assets businesses must protect. Regular system audits should be conducted to verify that all software is up-to-date and all equipment is functioning properly. Any problems serve as signs that your security system is in need of an update.
Discuss with your vendor what software updates will enhance your business’ safety. Questions to consider include:
- How do you use the new software updates?
- Are there service fees for updating software?
- Would a security system update require employee training?
Upgrading a Security System
Business owners faced with issues such as break-ins, employee theft or loitering may look for ways to enhance the security of their business.
Your security system vendor should have a sound knowledge of the market and keep tabs on changes in the industry. Reliable providers understand shifts in technology and offer optimal ways to upgrade your security system when add-ons become available.
Consider asking these questions when considering additions to your security system:
- Are there additional installation or service fees?
- How will this upgrade add value to my current system?
- What are the latest trends in business security?
- What maintenance is required for new equipment?
- What training is required with the new additions?
Whether you are purchasing, updating or upgrading your business security system, discuss all options and clarify with your security vendor to ensure your business is properly protected.
What questions would you ask your security system vendor? Share with us in the comments below.
Image Source: Antranias