In support of Fire Prevention Week, Vector Security has made available Helpful Hints for Fire Safety, a list of simple things you can do at home to prevent a fire from occurring.
Helpful Hints for Fire Safety
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), U.S. fire departments responded to nearly 1.4 million house fires in 2011. Of all fire-related deaths, 84% are the result of fires in the home. Because every second counts in an emergency, making sure you have properly installed and functioning smoke detectors can save you precious time. There are also simple things you can do at home to help prevent a fire from occurring. Here are some tips:
- Have an escape plan in place. Map out at least two exit routes and make sure every family member knows the plan.
- Designate a meeting place outside your home – within a safe distance away from the fire – so all family members can be accounted for.
- Never go back into a burning home. Call 911.
- Watch your cooking. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of house fires. If you need to step away, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Give space heaters space. Make sure they are at least three feet from anything that can burn. Turn them off when you leave or go to sleep.
- Keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
- Inspect electrical cords and replace those that are damaged or have loose connections.
- When using candles, make sure they are a safe distance from anything that can burn. Blow out candles before leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home and test them monthly. Better yet, let Vector Security® tailor a monitored fire protection solution for you.
Fire Protection Solutions from Vector Security
Rapid response can make all the difference in saving lives and property. Vector Security experts work with you to map out placement of smoke detectors inside your home to optimize your fire protection.
Should a fire occur, our system sounds an audible alarm so you can evacuate quickly. At the same time, an emergency signal is sent to our Monitoring Center, where operators are available 24/7 to dispatch help, even if you’re not home.
Ask us how we can custom design a fire protection plan for your lifestyle and budget today!